Storage Tank System Review Guide
The following information is provided to answer the usual "basic" questions regarding storage tank installations in Louisiana. Some excerpts are provided from the NFPA standards that govern these installations This information is not by any means all of the information that you will need to ensure complete compliance. You are responsible, as the owner, to comply with the adopted codes, laws, and standards.
- To acquire copies of the appropriate standards, you will need to contact the NFPA.
- NFPA 30 Flammable and Combustible Liquids Code
- NFPA 30A Motor Fuel Dispensing Facilities and Repair Garages
- NFPA 70 National Electrical Code
CLASSIFICATION OF LIQUIDS
- Class I Gasoline
- Class II or III Diesel / Fuel Oil
- Class III Oil
SCOPE AND APPLICATION
This code shall apply to the storage, handling, and use of flammable and combustible liquids, including waste liquids.
This code shall apply to automotive service stations, marine service stations, service stations located inside buildings, and fleet vehicle service stations.
DRAWINGS AND/OR SPECIFICATIONS REQUIRED FOR REVIEW
- Site plan drawing to scale showing tanks, distances to nearby buildings and property lines, parking and drives, observation wells, vents and hazardous features such as electrical equipment or incinerators.
- A section through tank(s) and excavation showing depths, physical dimension of tank(s), backfill, anchorage (if required), venting and cathodic protection.
- A section to scale through tank(s) and containment showing dimensions of tank(s), dimensions and construction of containment, tank base, anchorage, and venting.
- Details of fuel dispensing units.
This page was last modified on
March 30, 2023